Wednesday, August 1, 2007

School's Back in Session

I have put the petal to the metal since returning from vacation. I have been adding the final touches to my room and trying to get mentally prepared for another year, so it has been a few weeks since I have had the time to sit down and write a new entry. School is now back in session and teachers started a new school year by attending a county-wide inservice. Tuesday's inservice was very motivational and a great start to the new school year ahead.

I have taught fifth grade for three years and this year I requested to move down. So this year I am eager to begin a new journey in fourth grade. I believe that God grants every person with the abilities and patience to succeed in various occupations. I can say without a doubt my heart is in teaching. I am dedicated to both my school and students. I teach in a very low socioeconomic community and must say that most of the time my classroom is the only safe haven for the majority of my students. The majority of my students are struggling to strive in broken homes, have parents that are serving time for crimes, or been abandoned or abused by their loved ones. Every year I get emotionally attached to every child because I quickly realize the challenges of being a child in today's era. I have not been out of school that long, but I know that none of my classmates ever faced the obstacles that our children face today. If you are a teacher you should be able to relate to those thoughts in one way or another.

With each new school year my heart fills with joy of seeing the students again, my smile of happiness begins to peek through, and laughter fills my classroom as colleagues come in to see me. However, today made a turn for the worse. This morning as we met in the library for today's inclusion inservice our administrator announced to our faculty that one of our students had been severely injured in an ATV accident this morning. One of my fifth grade students from last year's class had a serious ATV accident this morning and was airlifted to UT Medical Center where he is in critical condition. He has a room in pediatric ICU where he is still unconscious. My heart broke when I heard the news and I have shed many tears since hearing the news. Our faculty held a moment of silence and prayed for his recovery. This is an extremely difficult way to start to the new school year. I hope that if your reading this entry you will pray for this 12 year old boy and his family that this accident not end in a tragic situation. May God Bless and Keep You Safe...

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

Glad you are pumped and ready to start a new year. post some pics of the classroom please.. i am interested to see your beautiful decor :)

Jeremy and Lacy said...

Sounds like you are right where God wants you. I cannot wait to see how He is going to use you this year!!